How to access your media toolkit and share your story with the media
Show the world the superhero you are!
One of the best ways to gather community support for your fundraising efforts and raise awareness of the needs of people living with blood cancer is to share your story with the media. Your local community journalists love to hear about fantastic things happening in their communities. Sharing your story could also empower and make a positive impact on the lives of those recently diagnosed with blood cancer and let them know they are not alone in the battle.
To help you engage with the media, the Leukaemia Foundation’s media team developed media toolkits with all the information your local journalists need to know about the World’s Greatest Shave, such as:
- World’s Greatest Shave Media Release with the quotes of support from the Leukaemia Foundation’s General Manager of Supporters Rachael Lance
- Fact Sheet with the latest facts and statistics on blood cancer in Australia and details about the World’s Greatest Shave
To access your media toolkit, simply click below on the most relevant media toolkit category for your team and once the new window opens up in your browser, fill in the form with all the required information, such as your contact information, reasons for your participation in the World’s Greatest Shave, as well as the details about your fundraising initiatives. Click “submit” to ensure your own media toolkit gets sent to your inbox.
Once you receive the media toolkit, call your local newspaper editors and radio announcers, introduce yourself (your name and the suburb or town you reside in) and tell them how you are helping to beat blood cancer. Here are some suggestions of simple things to say.
- I’m shaving my head in the World's Greatest Shave to show my support for locals living with blood cancer, and why.
- I’m participating in the World's Greatest Shave to support a family, friend or colleague. Include who they are and why you are supporting them.
- I’m participating just because I want to be part of something GREAT and to fundraise for a worthy charity.
Don’t forget to tell them about your personal story and promote your fundraising activities to support your awesome efforts.
- What events or fundraising activities you will be hosting/participating in?
- When, how and where they are, and what time?
- How much money do you expect to fundraise?
- Your personal story (name, age, suburb/town you live in)?
Ask the journalist for their best email address. Even if you don't speak with a journalist directly, ask reception for the best email address, and simply email the media toolkit through along with any further information.
If you need anything, the Leukaemia Foundation's media team are here to help. Email us anytime on firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing your amazing story in the news! And THANK YOU for supporting people living with blood cancer.