World’s Greatest Shave joins forces with Sustainable Salons
This year, the World’s Greatest Shave is partnering with Sustainable Salons to ensure that all hair shaved, and cut is collected to be recycled and repurposed in the correct way.
Who are Sustainable Salons Australia?
Sustainable Salons Australia was founded back in 2015 by Paul Frasca and Ewelina Soroko with a mission to collect 95% of a hair salon’s waste bin and redirect it all for reuse, recycling and repurposing.
Sustainable Salons Australia Co-Founder Paul Frasca says “Hair is such a powerful resource. Not only does it have amazing repurposing opportunities, but it’s unlimited! In a world where our natural resources are in steady decline, why are we dumping this valuable commodity in landfill?
“We’re on a mission to reverse this, and that’s why we’re hugely excited to be partnering with the World’s Greatest Shave.” he added.
5 Fun Facts
1. All hair collected will be put into a sausage-like hair boom to help fight oil spills on the Australian coast.
2. Last year Sustainable Salons collected over 56 kgs of hair through the World’s Greatest Shave – this year it's expected to be much more!
3. Hair longer than 20 centimetres is cut in a ponytail and created into wigs.
4. After 2018 World’s Greatest Shave event, Sustainable Salons collected 4,500 ponytails and created 225 wigs.
5. The Leukaemia Foundation and event hosts will be collecting empty cans of coloured hairspray, which will be diverted away from landfill and back into recycled resources.
Why not join this year’s the Leukaemia Foundation’s World’s Greatest Shave and at the same time help the environment? Sign up today and help shave the world from blood cancer.
Back to news