How to take part
Get sponsored to shave or colour your hair in 2019 and help beat blood cancer
Get ready for a truly unforgettable experience
Shave, colour, cut or wax your hair and ask friends and family to sponsor you
When you sign up and raise money for the 2019 World’s Greatest Shave you are giving families facing blood cancer the emotional and practical support they need.
You are also funding vital research that will help more people survive blood cancers like lymphoma, leukaemia and myeloma, while improving their quality of life.
- Sign up and we'll send you tips and tools in a free kit.
- You can also download the WGS App to make is easy to ask all your phone contacts to support you.
- Our team will also give you all the support you need to make your World's Greatest Shave a rewarding and unforgettable experience.
Will you be shaving in 2019?
- We suggest clipper length No.1 or No.2
- If you're opting for a slightly longer 'do', choose No.3 or No.4.
- Lots of men choose to shave their beloved beard, moustache or sideburns.
- Banish the mullet or the comb-over!
Colouring is cool, too!
- Got a long pony tail or man bun? Go for a bold new look by chopping off your locks
(then go a step further and shave the rest!).
- Colour your hair using non-permanent hair spray that washes out the same day.
- You can also try hair chalks - they wash out easily as well. You can buy a pack here.
Snip tips for something different
- Get creative - add glitter or flowers to your hair.
- Style it into a bizarre hairstyle for a day then shave as your big finale.
- Wax your legs or arms, or if you're a guy your back or chest (ouch!).
- Already bald? Use face-paint to get creative!
Shout it out
Here's how to get the ball rolling
Add some personality to your online Shave Page
- Take a before photo and post it on your page
Your sponsors will be more generous if they can see your smiling face.
- Write something about what you're doing an why
People will read your words every time they visit your page.
- Post more pictures, videos and thank you's
Your page has a timeline - a bit like Facebook. Your sponsors will be more generous if you keep sharing your shave journey.
Announce it on Facebook
- Post your brave decision on social media
Once you've told all your family and friends, there's no backing out!
- Share the link to your online Shave Page.
- Post regularly about your your shave and how your fundraising is going
Always use #worldsgreatestshave.
- Create a Facebook event to get everyone excited
Encourage friends to keep donating to reach your goal by posting regular updates in the countdown to your big day.
- Kick start your fundraising by sponsoring yourself
It's a great way to encourage others to give when you've already backed yourself.
- Be as generous as you can
Give $50 and others will feel they should give $50, too!
- Ask all the people in your phone contacts by SMS
- Post photos with previews of bizarre hairstyles
- Keep track of your goal
- Set up a countdown to your shave.