Did you know your ponytails can have a second life?
We’ve partnered with the clever team at Sustainable Salons to repurpose the hair that Australia shaves!
Many of the ponytails snipped can be turned into wigs for those with cancer, while shorter hair clippings will be transformed into compost and even floating Hair Booms to absorb oil spills at sea. Cool!
This is your chance to do even more good by going green! Simply collect all of the ponytails (coloured is ok) and hair clippings from your shave and send it back to Sustainable Salons.
Download the Sustainable Salons Factsheet learn more:
Do you have 20cm or more of natural or coloured hair?
Your ponytails have the power to become a charitable wig for someone suffering from cancer and give them back their confidence! Did you know it takes 20 ponytails to make just one wig? That’s why every ponytail matters!
How to cut a ponytail for donation:
1. Wait! Before you start. No wet ponytails, please, hair must be dry. Section hair and secure each ponytail 1 – 2cm down from where you will cut. Plait the ponytail, then tie it tightly at the bottom.
2. Measure the ponytail. Aim for 36cm+* especially if the hair is uncoloured. These ponytails are the holy grail for creating charitable wigs!
*All ponytails 20cm+ coloured or uncoloured are accepted.
3. Cut the hair 1 – 2 cm above the elastic of each ponytail.
4. Keep the ponytail smooth and place in a zip-lock bag.
Did you know hair clippings can soak up an oil spill?
Don’t have enough hair for a ponytail? Don’t worry! The hair clippings you shave can help Sustainable Salons soak up oil spills thanks to their incredible Hair Boom Project.
Once it reaches the Sustainable Salons depot, your hair is stuffed into stockings to make sausage-shaped Hair Booms that can absorb up to 4L of oil in a spill on land or at sea. How cool!
How to collect hair clippings:
1. Wait! Before you shave. Any hair 20cm or longer, coloured or uncoloured, can be a ponytail donation. Follow the above instructions on how to cut and donate your ponytails.
2. Assess your hair before you shave – no synthetic hair (e.g. extensions), please
3. Shave the hair, then sweep it up from the floor and place in a zip-lock bag.
4. Remove any general waste that might have been swept up with the hair (waste materials other than hair will contaminate the hair supply and make it unstable!)
How to donate your hair
Place all hair in a zip-lock bag, then put into a postage envelope and mail them to:
World’s Greatest Shave Ponytails
c/o Sustainable Salons
GPO BOX 322
SYDNEY NSW 2001
Please ensure you apply the correct amount for postage. You can use a prepaid satchel (take careful notice of the weight restrictions on the satchel) or take your ponytails in an envelope to the post office for the customer service representative to process for you. Unfortunately, any parcels with incorrect postage will not be received by Sustainable Salons.
Watch Katie’s amazing shave and ponytail donation!
Looking for a hairdresser to prep your ponytails for you?
Stylists at Sustainable Salons around the country have all been specially-trained to prepare and cut your ponytails for donation. They can also collect them and send them directly to the Sustainable Salons depot, saving you the postage!
Your special $25* post-shave haircut awaits!
Have you thought about your hair after you shave? Visit your local Sustainable Salon for a special post-shave tidy-up for just $25*, then book in your future haircuts as your lovely locks return!
*$25 OFFER TERMS & CONDITIONS
Fundraisers may redeem one post-shave, post-donation style-cut only using this offer.
Prices may change depending on salon but the offer will be a maximum of $25 including GST (excludes credit surcharges and the Sustainable Salons Fee).
Salons may ask to see the fundraiser’s Official World’s Greatest Shave fundraising page prior to scheduling the appointment.
Available appointment times and stylists are at the discretion of the salon.
Additional service prices such as colour or treatments are at the discretion of the salon.